Alpine Cave Adventure
Gargantua Cave & Cleft Cave
Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
2015 Availability: September 9-11, 2015
Price: $400.00 + GST per participant
Minimum Age: 16 years
Alpine Caving is a very STRENUOUS activity; it takes place in a remote mountainous area where rescue is notoriously difficult and protracted; it is a serious undertaking and not suitable for everyone.
All participants must have a high level of fitness and backcountry hiking/camping experience.
Tour Time: 3 Days - includes Backcountry Hiking & Camping, Caving with Rappelling
Minimum group size: 4 participants
Maximum group size: 8 participants
Cancellation Policy: 2 weeks notice for 100% refund.
NO REFUNDS for NO SHOWS
A $50 non-refundable deposit is required to book. Prices are subject to change without notice.
Alpine Caving Details
Join our 3 day backcountry alpine cave tour in the spectacular Crowsnest Pass region of southern Alberta! After 4-wheeling for 7 km along a seismic line, we backpack to the alpine meadows – Camp Caves. From there, we explore 2 caves high in the mountain ridges above – Cleft Cave and Gargantua Cave. Cleft Cave ends at a “window” overlooking the next valley. Gargantua Cave is an exhilarating trip involving five rappels, through large chambers and narrow passages before emerging behind a waterfall at the base of Mount Ptolemy. This tour is for backcountry camping enthusiasts who are very fit and seeking a unique outdoor experience. Access to Gargantua Cave is dependent on the snow pack conditions on the Ptolemy Plateau.
Sample Trip Itinerary
- Meet your guides at 7 am; follow guide in convoy to parking area
- Pack up equipment then take a 4 wheel drive to base of hiking trail
- Hike up steep trail for 2-3 hours to campsite at Camp Caves
- Rope practice and afternoon caving trip to Cleft Cave
- Return to camp for meal and campfire discussion
- Early start with hearty breakfast
- Pack up equipment for Gargantua Cave
- Hike up trail over Mount Ptolemy Col to the cave entrance
- Begin rappelling through Gargantua Cave emerging at the bottom entrance, you may get wet here
- Hike back to camp
- Pack up camp and gear in the morning
- Hike down to 4 wheel drive vehicle and head out to parking area.
Camping & Equipment List
Caving equipment provided includes coveralls, kneepads, gloves, helmet and headlamp, harnesses, safety lanyards and ropes.
NOT provided: Clients must provide all food, clothing, hiking & camping equipment for 3 days plus appropriate footwear. Full details are provided in the Crowsnest equipment list.